Words from the Horse’s Mouth
A One-off Conference on Writing and Publishing
Who better to tell you what publishers look for than publishers themselves?
Buzzwords and the University of Leeds, with support from Northern Arts, combine forces to offer writers in Cleveland a unique opportunity to meet and discuss writing and publishing with a range of mainstream and small press publishers.
The conference formed one day of the annual Cleveland Creative Writing Summer School but was open to the general public. It was an intensive day combining presentations and specialist workshops led by commissioning editors and publishers’ readers. Their brief was to outline the selection procedures their publishing house operates, talk you through the practicalities of submitting manuscripts, answer burning questions about the publishing industry and give you some insider knowledge about how to improve your chances of acceptance.
The invited panel represented a broad spectrum of contemporary British publishing and included:
- Bill Swainson from Bloomsbury, specialising in non fiction, biography and memoirs
- Kirsty Dunseath from The Women’s Press, specialising in women’s fiction and the imprint ‘Livewire’
- Roy Heapy from Oxford University Press, specialising in fiction for children
- Chris Firth from Yorkshire Arts Circus, specialising in small press publishing
- John Kinsella, editor of Stand, specialising in poetry journals
- Debbie Taylor, editor of Mslexia, specialising in writing by women